Tuesday 8 September 2009

Indulgences?

 
Posted by Picasa


My thoughts have continued along the lines started in the previous post. And how I/we treat my/ourselves with tough love. In fact, I make an allusion to that in part 1 when I said we have to ensure that the long term gain outweighs the current pain.

It’s a bit negative!

I thought about it.
1. We deprive ourselves of food
2. We force ourselves to exercise
3. We want to lose weight
4. We fight a battle against weight gain
5. .......

You get the picture? We are putting ourselves into a negative mindset, where we are literally treating ourselves as our own worst enemy.

And I thought some more....what could I do that was *positive*, where instead of *depriving* myself, I could *indulge* myself. Not in a food way, of course, but still in a way that nourished me, Kelpie especially.
My answer was body lotion.
It was one of the things I had thought about on holiday, putting on after sun.....I realised that I only give myself that particular attention “in extremis” as it were; to prevent damage.
And the more I thought about it, the more it made sense. It is a way of showing myself that I love myself (thanks Flylady) for the following reasons;
1. I spend some time on me
2. It’s a sort of luxury
3. I auto massage
4. Massage is a great thing, look at babies who want cuddles, and kittens who want stroked
5. I have to own my body (not hide behind clothes)
6. It isn’t a cure.

I also tied to find out what the opposite of Tough Love was...guess what, there isn’t an opposite. I tried googling gentle love, and one of the things that came up was an adaptation of 1st Corinthians chapter 13. Even for the non religious it is a lovely piece.

So now I have to try and think how I can be gentle and patient and kind with myself....and enjoy my indulgences!

No comments:

Post a Comment